Update: it looks like Dave Winer is experimenting with exactly this sort of thing with the N800, this will be very interesting.
[note: when I say blogging, I don't mean primarily text, i'm including photos, audio podcasting and video blogging in the mix. i'm trying to get at the value of mobility, video, audio, pictures, and a bit of text]
With the Samsung announcement of a 3G mobile phone targeted at bloggers
“The mobile blog function’s speedy data transmission will distinguish the phone from other handsets. The phone will debut in Germany and Spain this month and next hit the Southeast Asian market.”
I was just thinking, what would I really like in a boggers/podcasters phone? Here’s a few features that spring to mind:
- Posting photo’s as a blog entry – Already doable using flickr MMS, would like to automatically add tags to the blog post, put it in a certain category, would like to include multiple pictures in one post (currently flickr system does one pic per post
- Stereo audio recording – I don’t think i’ve found a phone yet that has different settings for recording audio. For me I would like to easily select my recording options depending if i’m interviewing someone or recording music. Being able to plug in external mics would also be amazing (should be able to record audio stand alone, or with video)
- background audio and video uploading to selected services over most appropriate connection. I have wifi on a few of my phones, I would love it if I could tag certain recordings to be uploaded to specific services when I come in proximity of previously defined wifi locations.
- Also different content should be uploaded to different services, for instance I might want a video to got to youtube, blink.tv, and dailymotion at the same time; podcasts should get posted to my blog, or what ever service i’m hosting them on. Ideally this should happen on the server side, that way I upload once and it is automatically distributed from the server
- Podcast editing – not sure how this would play out, but basic cropping and joining of audio and video files would totally rawk
If your are a blogger and a podcaster what features would you like to see in your phone?
Quick plug for Shozu which already does some of the things i’m talking about around uploaded content to different services.
LOL, David Armano has just designed his own phone and posted it on his blog, it’s called the MyPhone
I’m at the mobile identity workshop today, and I led a discussion this morning about features that people want for an open podcast player device. The rules were anyone could blurt out any feature they wanted and I put them all on the list. (I’m not endorsing these ideas, or explaining them.)
TiVO features/last ten seconds
popup menu for categorization
lots of dials
real volume control
Love the one “lots of dials” hysterical